[whatwg] Correcting some misconceptions about Responsive Images

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Wed May 16 18:49:36 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

>  The downside of the CG as executed is that it was much less successful
> in attracting browser implementor feedback (in part because it was
> apparently not advertised in places frequented by browser standards
> people). So the implementor feedback only got applied later, and without
> full knowledge and understanding of the CGs efforts. It's not useful to
> have a standards process that doesn't include all the essential
> stakeholders.

This isn't a new suggestion, but worth repeating: starting a CG is fine,
but *do not make a new mailing list*.  Hold discussions on a related
monolithic list (like here or webapps), with a subject line prefix.  Making
lots of isolated mailing lists only ensures that the people you'd want
paying attention won't be, because the overhead of subscribing to a list
(for a subject people may only have passive interest in) is much higher
than skimming a thread on whatwg or webapps-public that people are already
on.

Every time I see "we've started a new CG, everyone subscribe to our list!",
I cringe; the result here was predictable (
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2012Apr/0011.html).

--
Glenn Maynard