[whatwg] So if media-queries aren't for determining the media to be used what are they for?

Kornel Lesiński kornel at geekhood.net
Thu May 17 06:37:13 PDT 2012

On Thu, 17 May 2012 14:16:24 +0100, Matthew Wilcox
<mail at matthewwilcox.com> wrote:

> That particular solution is, to my mind, the most flexible and useful
> implementation I've seen, because it's really about breakpoint
> management and abstraction - which is what all responsive elements
> need in order to work together well and be future-friendly.
>
> It does, no doubt, have some technical considerations and implications
> I'm not aware of. I would love to see this worked on more, I don't
> think there's much more I can add to it from my authors perspective,
> it needs work from an implementor perspective. But as a pattern, it
> has a lot of plus points going for it.

I'm trying to figure out how it's going to work in other situations than
the happy case.

What if you want to provide copy&pasteable code snippet with an adaptive
image? (like W3C Validator badges)

What if you're creating WYSIWYG editor for CMSes and want to have button
for inserting adaptive images, but have no access to <head>?

What if you want to insert a single image with custom/unique breakpoints
(say an infographic prepared by an agency which used different
breakpoints) on a website that already has its own breakpoints defined?

I see no nice solution for case when authors put <meta breakpoint> in
(wasted requests) or ignore the meta (annoying gotcha when HTML5 parser
unexpectedly closes <head> or when people want to work around lack of
access to the <head>)

How do you work with URLs you have no control over? e.g. you'd have to
name your breakpoints "40" and "80" to have adaptive size of gravatar.com
URLs.

What do you do when you have only two breakpoints for sidebar, but more
for the main content? (mostly fixed-width sidebar with fluid main column)
or if your page header adapts to portrait orientation, but images in main
content only adapt to width?

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński