[whatwg] Correcting some misconceptions about Responsive Images

Matthew Wilcox mail at matthewwilcox.com
Thu May 17 11:20:34 PDT 2012

On 17 May 2012 19:15, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Matthew Wilcox <mail at matthewwilcox.com> wrote:
>>> A few humble thoughts
>>>
>>> -Have the CG recruit an experienced implementor or editor to
>>> participate more or less from the beginning. This may short-circuit
>>> time spent on solutions that won't work for esoteric reasons, and
>>> there will be at least one person with one foot in both worlds.
>>
>> This would be awesome.
>
> FWIW, I wanted to do this, but Google's policy of having us talk to
> the patents guys before joining CGs turned me off from actually
> joining.  So, I just followed from the side and couldn't interact
> enough. :/

Is this something that Google might be willing to bend somewhat? I.e.,
when you're on the CG you're a free-agent and not representing Google?
Or, for the sake of politics, could it be worked around in that
instead of joining the CG you keep track of things via the RSS feed
(it is after all public) and post to the WHATWG mailing list with
"observations" every once in a while - as long as core CG members know
to keep an eye out that's not necessarily a huge problem.

I dunno, politics complicates stuff. And patenting open-web stuff to
me seems wrong on any number of levels.