[whatwg] Bandwidth media queries

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Sun May 20 06:13:19 PDT 2012

On 5/20/12 9:04 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 5/20/12 5:45 AM, Paul Irish wrote:
>> Since no one mentioned it, I just wanted to make sure this thread is
>> aware
>> of the Network Information API [1], which provides
>> navigator.connection.bandwidth
>>
>> It's been recently implemented (to some degree) in both Mozilla [2] and
>> Webkit [3].
>
> As far as I can tell, the Mozilla implementation always returns Infinity
> for .bandwidth.

Oh, and the WebKit implementation you linked to sometimes returns
whatever value the embedding set on the object (thus punting the problem
of what to return to the embedding), and by default seems to do this, if
I read it right:

57	unsigned int NetworkInfoClientEfl::bandwidth() const
58	{
59	    notImplemented();
60	    return 10; // MB/s
61	}

(not exactly spec compliant, so much, of course).

-Boris