[whatwg] Bandwidth media queries

Mounir Lamouri mounir at lamouri.fr
Mon May 21 11:37:18 PDT 2012

On 05/21/2012 04:34 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 5/21/12 10:09 AM, Mounir Lamouri wrote:

>>> As far as I can tell, the Mozilla implementation always returns Infinity
>>> for .bandwidth.
>>
>> This is not true. There is an implementation for Firefox Android which
>> is based on the connection type.
>
> Ah, indeed.  I had missed that codepath.
>
> If I'm reading the right code now, that looks like it returns a constant
> value for each connection type (e.g. if you're connected via Ethernet or
> Wifi it returns 20; if you're connected via EDGE it returns 0.2, etc).

The idea is that the specification allows the implementation to be
trivial and improve without changing the specification. And that
implementation is good enough for web pages to know if the user is in a
slow or fast connection without giving the connection type and leaking
information. That would require not returning exact constant by blurring
them a bit. This is not done yet but could easily happen.

--
Mounir