[whatwg] Media queries, viewport dimensions, srcset and picture

Mathew Marquis mat at matmarquis.com
Tue May 22 06:42:15 PDT 2012

On May 22, 2012, at 5:43 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Markus Ernst <derernst at gmx.ch> wrote:
>> I am somehow surprised that there are no reactions to this proposal. To me
>> as a humble author it looks like it would address the main issue of both
>> <picture> and @srcset, as it leaves the MQ to CSS, and thus separates design
>> from content.
>
> 1. It does not address the pixel density use case. 2. A pattern-based
> approach was actually mentioned in Ian Hickson's email when he
> announced the srcset attribute.

We’re apt to see the element used in one of two ways:

* Serving a size-appropriate image source in a flexible layout, wherein the size of the images will be controlled by CSS—typically, `max-width: 100%`. Using a pixel density MQ will serve a larger image within this constraint. Inherent size is not a concern with this case—which is fortunate, as this will likely require sources with varying dimensions, per the “art direction” case.

* Serving a static-dimension asset at varying resolutions, a la Apple.com. To always rely on the intrinsic size of another source is to negate the art direction use case — however, we could simply add optional `width` and `height` attributes to `picture`, constraining the higher res image to a specified set of dimensions. This leaves control in the authors’ hands in a simple, predictable way without negating either use case.

I can’t speak to this personally, but Kornel has mentioned that using said attributes instead of relying on a calculated inherent width will avoid reflows. It should likely be an option in either case.