[whatwg] Question on Limits in Adaption Agency Algorithm

Yasuhiko Minamide minamide at cs.tsukuba.ac.jp
Fri Nov 2 21:50:00 PDT 2012

This is about Adaption Agency Algorithm in 12.2.5.4.7 The "in body" insertion
mode.

Limits of loops in the adoption agency algorithm were introduced
in http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=5641&to=5642.
However, the limit for the inner loop introduces an unexpected behaviour for
the following fragment of an HTML document.

This document is parsed into the following DOM tree.

<b>
  <i>
    <a>
      <s>
        <tt></tt>
      </s>
    </a>
    "xyz"
  </i>
</b>
<a>
  <s>
    <tt>
        <b></b>
        "abc"
    </tt>
  </s>
</a>

"xyz" is inserted as a child of <i> and the order between "abc" and "xyz" is
reversed in the tree. We would like to know whether this is an intended
behaviour of the specification.

We are aware that the similar reversal occurs in markup-in-tables.

Yasuhiko Minamide