[whatwg] main element parsing behaviour

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Wed Nov 7 03:55:46 PST 2012

On 7.11.2012 12:46, Simon Pieters wrote:

> I'm not convinced that we should freeze the parser now just because we
> have reached interop. I think not changing the parser here makes <main>
> (and other future elements; whatever we do here sets a precedent for
> future elements) inconsistent with the rest of HTML. In the long term,
> having <main> and <aside> parse differently just because we didn't want
> to change the behavior from 2012-era browsers will seem silly. Moreover,
> it will complicate the already complicated rules about when </p> may be
> omitted (in terms of how people think of the rule), which means that we
> might have to say that </p> is always required.

Changing parser each time new element is added is really evil idea and
sign of a bad design.

Parsing algorithm should be either not touched at all, or it should be
promptly changed to treat all unknown elements in other way if the
current treatment of unknown elements is not suitable for some reason.

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz