[whatwg] Request for network diagnostic API

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Nov 12 11:45:01 PST 2012

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, ÕÅÁ¢Àí wrote:

> 1. User's IP, when mapped to our IP->ISP library, got a wrong result, so
> we respond the user with a wrong server, which dramatically slows down
> the transfer speed.
>
> 2. User has his own network broken, but didn't know where the issue is.
>
> 3. User couldn't even give us a simple network connectivity information
> so we were unable to confirm the problem.

Tobie's suggestion (to raise this on the Web Perf working group) is a
reasonable one. As a general rule, though, these problems seem very
specific. It's not clear that it would be worth providing features to
solve these problems, since they really would have very few other use
cases. We try to only solve problems that affect many sites, since there
is a cost to each such feature.