[whatwg] [mimesniff] Review requested on MIME Sniffing Standard

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Nov 12 15:08:46 PST 2012

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Gordon P. Hemsley wrote:

> But if everyone vows to just wait for 512 bytes (or EOF), then that's
> fine with me.

I don't think we should require tools to wait for 512 bytes. This is an
area where if we have the requirement, some user agents are just going to
have a timeout anyway and ignore the spec; we gain nothing by making it
non-conforming to have a timeout.

> > What are the use cases for ‘Sniffing archives specifically’?
>
> No idea. I only included it for completeness.

Please don't spec things for completeness without use cases. :-)