[whatwg] A plea to Hixie to adopt <main>

Tim Leverett zzzzbov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 07:11:43 PST 2012

Steve,

> What we also know is that user agents do not generally implement
heuristics to provide semantic information to users, they rely upon
explicit markup to expose semantic structures to convey meaning and provide
navigation of content.

I am aware of that, but the point I was making was in regard to Silvia's
email about the github visualreference tool that she found.

>From a non-UA standpoint, such as crawling service for a search
engine, heuristics
would still be needed to accurately identify primary content.

So when Silvia said:

> I'm sure a lot of other people had to solve this problem as well and have
done so in their own special way. Explicit author markup would make such a
task so much easier.

I was disagreeing with that point because there's no way to implicitly
trust the author, in the same way that search engines can't trust <meta
name="keywords" />

I probably should have made that all explicit to begin with,
☺

☺