[whatwg] 'datetime-local' and 'datetime' comments

Mounir Lamouri mounir at lamouri.fr
Wed Nov 14 09:20:38 PST 2012

On 13/11/12 10:51, Nicolas Froidure wrote:
> So making datetime having the behavior of datetime-local does not seem
> to be necessary for consistency. In any case, i think that we still need
> a way to define a datetime in a particular timezone since you cited one
> case in which it make sense.

Having *a* use case doesn't make a feature a must have. Developers can
write this feature themselves and as said, having a browser
implementation isn't going to help them here. It might be the opposite
actually.

> I think that whatever you decide for datetimes, it should always return
> a UTC value with only one format (yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss or
> yyyy-mm-dd-Thh:mm:ssZ) to allow us to threat it the same way  whether it
> is relative to the user timezone or not.

'datetime' should indeed return something like "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss" so,
there is no timezone involved.

Cheers,
--
Mounir