[whatwg] Canvas in Workers

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:12:58 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:
> postMessage already has an ownership transfer list, we could always extend the set of transferable types to include a canvas like thing (the context or some such).

Transferring contexts is tolerable for 2d, but a non-starter for webgl
- there's too much stuff that can be loaded into a context that would
have to be transferred cross-process.  Hixie's approach uses a
lightweight canvas proxy instead.

> IIRC the last time I suggested having canvas (or at least canvas-like) APIs available in workers it turned into a spec for rotating and scaling images (which i still don't fully understand).

That was an attempt to solve the use-cases without doing the work to
actually port <canvas> to the worker.  Hixie's now done the latter.

~TJ