[whatwg] Use of article to identify the main content of a web page

Charles McCathie Nevile chaals at yandex-team.ru
Mon Nov 19 14:36:05 PST 2012

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:08:05 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Ian Yang wrote:

>> > That's called <article>.
>>
>> Thanks Hickson. Actually I had turned down my own opinion (
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2012Nov/0182.html
>> ).
>>
>> And isn't <article> used to wrap an entire blog post? Like this:
>>
>> <article>
>>     <header />
>>     <footer />
>> </article>
>
> Right. It wraps all the elements of a blog post. All the <p>s, <ul>s,

Sure, but what about multiple articles, in a page like the front of a US
newspaper or a forum page with multiple threads, or the front page of my
blog (which offers the last n articles on the same page)?

> If you just want to wrap a subpart of that for rendering purposes, <div>
> is the element you want. Basically <div> is always the answer if the
> question is "how do I provide myself a hook for CSS styling".

Sure, but that isn't the question I have. I'd like to know "what is the
main content of the page"?

There are a set of use cases that have some overlap (but not a whole lot),
where I'd like to seperate out "articles" in the sense of "things" - like
"things in a newsletter" or "things that people are talking about".

cheers

Chaals

       chaals at yandex-team.ru         Find more at http://yandex.com