[whatwg] Character-encoding-related threads

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Oct 18 16:09:42 PDT 2012

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 2012-06-29 23:42, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > Currently you need a DOCTYPE, a character encoding declaration, a
> > title, and some content. I'd love to be in a position where the empty
> > string would be a valid document, personally.
>
> Is content really necessary? The validator.nu service accepts the
> following:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html><title></title>

It's a SHOULD-level requirement; search the spec for the word "palpable".

> But the <title> element isn't really needed, and unless I'm mistaken,
> the current rules allow its omission under some conditions - which
> cannot be tested algorithmically, so conformance checkers should issue a
> warning at most about missing <title>.
>
> It might be better to declare <title> optional but strongly recommend
> its use on web or intranet pages (it might be rather irrelevant in other
> uses of HTML).

That's basically what the spec says -- if there's a higher-level protocol
that gives a <title>, then it's not required. It's only required if
there's no way to get a title.

Are there any situations that this doesn't handle where it would be
legitimate to omit a <title> element?