[whatwg] Proposal for Links to Unrelated Browsing Contexts

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 1 17:34:32 PDT 2012

On 10/1/12 6:10 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On 6/19/12 1:56 PM, Charlie Reis wrote:
>>> That's from the "[if] the user agent determines that the two browsing
>>> contexts are related enough that it is ok if they reach each other"
>>> part, which is quite vague.
>>
>> This is, imo, the part that says unrelated browsing contexts should not
>> be able to reach each other by name.
>>
>> It's only vague because hixie wanted all current implementations to be
>> conforming, I think.  Which I believe is a mistake.
>
> I'm happy to make the spec not match implementations, if the
> implementations are going to change to match the spec. :-)

I certainly plan to change Gecko to make this stuff less lose there.

But full disclosure: I have been thus planning for at least 3 years.  I
don't know when I'll get to it.  It's not a small change.  :(

-Boris