[whatwg] [canvas] Path object

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 3 20:04:56 PDT 2012

On 10/3/12 10:19 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> That's unfortunate.  It's one of the most pathologically broken behaviors
> on the platform; now there will be nothing discouraging people from using
> it.  I think this was a net win despite the cost to interoperability.

That is as may be, but:

1)  Every single other UA implemented the global scope polluter in
standards mode.

2)  The spec called for it to be implemented in standards mode.
Repeated requests that the spec be changed got denied with "see point 1".

3)  Repeated requests for other UAs to drop support for the global scope
polluter in standards mode were met with either silence or great
surprise that Gecko had the behavior it did, followed by silence.

4)  The growing number of web developers who only bother testing in
WebKit meant that there were more and more sites that were breaking in
Gecko due to relying on the global scope polluter.

5)  Other browser vendors were putting out conformance and performance
tests that relied on the global scope polluter to function.

I decided it wasn't worth punishing our users further if no one else in
the world cared about this.

-Boris