[whatwg] Resource loading in browsing context-less Documents

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Fri Oct 5 15:04:44 PDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> On 10/5/12 4:09 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
>> Yeah sure, I'm not opposed to that. But that seems like a somewhat
>> bigger change, no? E.g. then you would also change <a>.click() be a
>> no-op I suppose? Or <form>.submit().
>>

> Are they not already?

a.click() is definitely not a no-op when not in a document, at least in
WebKit.  I've used this in place of window.open, to use rel=noreferrer (
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2012Aug/0238.html
).

<script>var a = document.createElement("a"); a.href = "http://google.com";
a.click();</script>

(This seems to not work in Firefox.  This code was iOS-specific--code
running inside an app--so testing in FF wasn't an issue at the time.)

--
Glenn Maynard