[whatwg] [canvas] Path object

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Oct 8 16:29:31 PDT 2012

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012, Elliott Sprehn wrote:

> I was looking at the canvas Path API and had some concerns. In
> particular it's inconsistent with the rest of canvas:
>
> We already have CanvasGradient and CanvasPattern in the global
> namespace, so this should probably be called CanvasPath.

The name is based in part on the idea that it should be useful outside of
Canvas as well. The old names are legacy we can't change.

> We also have createLinearGradient() and createPattern(), but this new
> thing is "new Path".

As a general rule on the platform as a whole we're moving towards
constructors. The gradient and pattern objects, again, are a legacy that
we can't change (we could add redundant constructors as well, but
generally I recommend against adding redundancy as it doesn't add
anything useful but does add confusion and implementation costs).

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012, Elliott Sprehn wrote:

> What of the fact that this breaks existing pages with <input id="Path">
> that access it as just Path? Historically this has been a non-starter
> for new APIs.

We've added tons of stuff to Window, and I'm sure we'll add more. The
question is just whether it causes breakage; if it does, we'll change the
name. That's what implementation testing is for. :-)

As a general rule, capitalised names like Path aren't usually a big deal.

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012, Elliott Sprehn wrote:

> What about unifying all of these as:
>
> new GraphicsPath()
> new GraphicsLinearGradient()
> new GraphicsRadialGradient()
> new GraphicsPattern()
>
> and fixing HTML5 canvas to support these new constructors instead?

We could only change Path, since the others are already deployed. We could
add new constructors, but that would just be new redundancy, and thus
probably isn't worth it.

> @hixie: How was it decided that this wasn't going to break the web?

It wasn't. That remains to be seen.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012, Simon Pieters wrote:

> $ grep -aPc "\s(?i:(id|name))\s*=\s*(\"|')?Path((\"|')|(\s|>|/))" web200904
> 85

85 out of ~600,000 pages is 0.014%. Not too small (about an order of
magnitude more than the number of XHTML pages served as XML I found a few
years ago in Google's index), but still pretty small.