[whatwg] Features for responsive Web design

Mark Callow callow.mark at artspark.co.jp
Tue Oct 9 20:09:15 PDT 2012

On 2012/10/10 6:49, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>>> With the current displays, it's just not that big a deal, IMHO. If by 3x
>>> you mean displays whose dpi is 3x that of CSS pixels (96dpi), they
>>> already exist in retail products. I saw 2 last week.
>> Can you elaborate?
>>
>> How many device pixels per CSS pixel do browsers on those devices use? Are
>> they just making CSS pixels smaller, or are they actually using 3x?
> http://www.zdnet.com/google-nexus-10-tablet-to-have-higher-res-display-than-ipad-7000005466/
> appears to be 299dpi
One of the devices I saw last week is a 10" display with 299dpi; I
strongly suspect it is the one that will be used in this Nexus tablet.

The other device is already on sale. A Sharp SH-10D smartphone sold by
NTT Docomo.  It has a 329 dpi display.

> http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22223 appears to be 440dpi
>
> These devices aren't out yet, but I suspect browsers would be
> more-or-less as high-dpi as possible.
I don't know what the browser on the SH-10D is doing, (It's running
Android 4.0) but, given the physical size (4.5"), if they were making
the css pixels smaller, the content would be unreadable. I expect they
are actually using 3x.

Regards

    -Mark

--
注意:この電子メールには、株式会社エイチアイの機密情報が含まれている場合
が有ります。正式なメール受信者では無い場合はメール複製、 再配信または情

NOTE: This electronic mail message may contain confidential and
privileged information from HI Corporation. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, photocopying, distribution or use of the
contents of the received information is prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete this message and all related copies.