[whatwg] maincontent element spec updated and supporting data provided

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Oct 17 23:12:41 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have updated the <maincontent> spec [1] and would appreciate any feedback
> (including, but not limited to implementers).

<bikeshed>A single-word element name would me more consistent with
other HTML element names. <content> would be rather generic, so I
think <main> would be the better option.</bikeshed>

It would probably make sense to add
main { display: block; }
to the UA stylesheet.

If Hixie had added this element in the same batch as <section>,
<article> and <aside>, he would have made the parsing algorithm
similarly sensitive to this element. However, I'm inclined to advise
against changes to the parsing algorithm at this stage (you have none;
I am mainly writing this for Hixie), since it would move us further
from a stable state for the parsing algorithm and, if the <main>
element is used in a conforming way, it won't have a <p> element
preceding it anyway.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi