[whatwg] maincontent element spec updated and supporting data provided

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Oct 18 16:08:22 PDT 2012

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> Hixie, can you point me to the uses cases developed for adding
> header/footer/section/article/aside etc? As it would be good to have
> some related source material to work from. I had a look on the WHATWG
> wiki and serached the WHATWG mail archive and couldn't find anything.

There's a number of use cases, and I don't recall which we were looking at
specifically at the time (it was many years ago), but off the top of my
head: being able to jump straight to the main content of the page, being
able to jump to the page's navigation, being able to style the header and
footer specifically, being able to move sections up and down the outline
(e.g. turn a sub-section into a sub-sub-section) without having to update
the markup (e.g. <h4> to <h5>), being able to mark parts of the page as
being non-critical (e.g. in the spec, a note or example), etc.

HTH,