[whatwg] Proposal for window.DocumentType.prototype.toString

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 29 18:17:45 PDT 2012

On 10/29/12 8:58 PM, Johan Sundström wrote:
> Serializing a complete HTML document DOM to a string is surprisingly
> hard in javascript.

I thought there were plans to put innerHTML on Document.  Did that go
nowhere?

> As a fairly seasoned javascript hacker I figured
> this might do it:
>
>    document.doctype + document.documentElement.outerHTML

This seems lossy in many cases (most obviously: when the HTML uses
conditional comments, though there are also various XHTML-specific issues).

> The most useful implementation would IMO be a native one
> that reproducing the doctype, as it was formatted in the source
> document.

That might be worth doing independent of the serialization issue.

-Boris