[whatwg] [canvas] Proposal for supportsContext

Dean Jackson dino at apple.com
Mon Sep 10 12:39:24 PDT 2012

On Sep 10, 2012, at 12:35 PM, Ashley Gullen <ashley at scirra.com> wrote:

> Can't Modernizr just lazy load the WebGL context?  (i.e. only try to create a context if the web page actually asks if WebGL is supported)

Yes, it could. But we don't control Modernizr or any other scripts people might use. I'd rather provide something at the browser-level to protect from bad practice than expect every page to behave nicely.

> On the other hand I would love to see a supportsContext function which can tell if WebGL is software rendered (i.e. Swiftshader in Chrome).  There's been a lot of discussion about that and how to define it, but in our experience 2D games rendered with Swiftshader are far slower than rendered with a software-rendered 2D canvas.  We have production code in the wild which detects Swiftshader by its supported WebGL extensions.  I'd love to replace this even with something vendor specific, like:
>
> canvas.supportsContext("webgl", { "-webkit-allowswiftshader": false })

Yes, that was another part of the eventual plan, although I didn't want to define that yet.

Dean