[whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas

Benoit Jacob bjacob at mozilla.com
Mon Sep 3 06:09:02 PDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 00:14:49 +0200, Benoit Jacob <bjacob at mozilla.com>
> wrote:

Two objections against this:

1. Remember this adage from high-performance computing which applies here as well: "The fast drives out the slow even if the fast is wrong". Browsers want to have good performance on Canvas games, demos and benchmarks. Users want good performance too. GL/D3D helps a lot there, at the cost of a rather rare -- and practically untestable -- problem with context loss. So browsers are going to use GL/D3D, period. On the desktop, most browsers already do. It seems impossible for the spec to require not using GL/D3D and get obeyed.

2. This would effectively force browsers to ship an implementation that does not rely on GL/D3D. For browsers that do have a GL/D3D based canvas implementation and target platforms where GL/D3D availability can be taken for granted (typically on mobile devices), it is reasonable to expect that in the foreseeable future they might want to get rid of their non-GL/D3D canvas impl.

Benoit