[whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Sep 3 09:11:37 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012, Benoit Jacob wrote:

> > Realistically, there are too many pages that have 2D canvases that are
> > drawn to once and never updated for any solution other than "don't
> > lose the data" to be adopted. How exactly this is implemented is a
> > quality of implementation issue.
>
> With all the current graphics hardware, this means "don't use a GL/D3D
> surface to implement the 2d canvas drawing buffer storage", which
> implies: "don't hardware-accelerate 2d canvases".

There are ways to make it work without forgoing acceleration, e.g. taking
regular "backups" of the canvas contents, remembering every instruction
that was sent to the canvas, etc.

> Erik's proposal doesn't worsen the problem in anyway --- it acknowledges
> a problem that already exists and offers to Web content a way to recover
> from it.

The problem is that there is content that doesn't recover, and assumes the
problem doesn't exist. That makes it our problem.

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> If the choice becomes "follow the spec and don't hardware-accelerate
> canvas" vs. "don't follow the spec and get orders of magnitude better
> performance", I suspect I can guess the choice implementors will make
> (implementors invited to speak for themselves, of course).

This isn't an issue of the spec -- there is existing content that would be
affected.

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> If there was a callback for context loss and if the user had set it, a
> browser could throw the entire canvas out and ask for it to be
> re-rendered if the canvas is shown again. This would even make sense if
> you don't have a HW accelerated canvas.
>
> There would be no backward compatibility issue either. If the user
> doesn't set the callback, a browser would have to do something
> reasonable to keep the canvas bitmap around.

This is an interesting idea... do other vendors want to provide something
like this?