[whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 4 10:35:04 PDT 2012

On 9/4/12 1:20 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> The only reason I can think of switch renderers, instead of
> snapshotting, is to deal with losing the context *mid*-render, while a
> script is still drawing.  (That seems like a problem so rare as to be
> almost theoretical, though.)

The main reason to switch renderers instead of snapshotting is that if
you default to software rendering and then upgrade to GPU you just need
to take your buffer and dump it to the GPU, whereas if you snapshot you
have to do a readback.

If the only thing around is the one canvas, they're probably not that
different.  If there are other GPU ops going on, moving data to the GPU
won't affect those as much as doing the readback, as I understand.  But
maybe I understand wrong?

> That's another big assumption.  From what I understand, this is a
> regular occurance on mobile.

Yes, exactly.

-Boris