[whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas

Erik Möller emoller at opera.com
Tue Sep 4 12:15:38 PDT 2012

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 20:49:57 +0200, Kornel Lesiński <kornel at geekhood.net>
wrote:

> until improvements in OS/drivers/hardware make this a non-issue (e.g. if
> the OS can notify applications before gfx context is lost, then browsers
> could snapshot then and problem will be gone for good)

We've just worked hard to get this behaviour into the GPUs to allow long
running shaders to be terminated for security reasons so it's not likely
to go away. Besides snapshotting right before a lost context doesn't help
us at all. For all we know the GPU could be half way through rendering
something when the event is triggered... even if we could read back the
half rendered content in the rendertarget how do we generate the correct
output from there? We'd have to take our DeLorian back to before the frame
was started and replay the rendering commands.

--
Erik Möller
Core Gfx Lead