[whatwg] Adaptive Image Element Proposal

Kornel Lesiński kornel at geekhood.net
Tue Sep 4 14:03:30 PDT 2012

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:47:15 +0100, Adrian Roselli
<Roselli at algonquinstudios.com> wrote:

> My point was more about @alt being solely for non-sighted users. I felt
> that starting off with that premise could lead to conclusions based on a
> faulty base.

Ah, sorry. Of course instead of "sighted/non-sighted" I should have said
"when UAs display the image/when UAs don't display the image or expose
alternative available to the screen reader"

Pedantism turned out to be useful, because when the issue is phrased this
way I now see the problem: the image may be displayed and at the same time
a screen reader may want to access alternative content.

This makes handling of interactive content in fallback tricky, as focus
required for the screen reader (needing to activate link in <picture>)
would differ from focus required for GUI users with images displayed
(never focusing <picture> content).

The easy workaround for that may be to treat <picture> fallback/alt
similarly to <button> content, i.e. just forbid focusable/interactive
elements. Do any UAs allow users to access <a> in rendered <object>?

--
regards, Kornel