[whatwg] Quirks mode handling of rowspan="0"

Simon Pieters simonp at opera.com
Thu Sep 6 00:30:01 PDT 2012

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 15:29:13 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> On 9/3/12 3:25 AM, Simon Pieters wrote:
>> Is there a compat problem with supporting it in quirks mode?
>
> I did cover this in my post.  The last time we tried it, there was, but
> that was a while ago.

Oh, sorry.

greping for "rowspan=\"0\"" in
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2012/04/html5-accessibility-chops-data-for-the-masses/
and http://dotnetdotcom.org/ I find the following pages being broken in
Opera but working in Firefox/Chrome:

http://www.persianv.com/
http://www.quicherchetrouve.be/index.php?r1=2&an=3&anb=239&page=3
http://www.kvaak.fi/keskustelu/index.php?topic=1914.0
http://www.timekillerarcade.com/game.php?id=1941
http://www.elginisd.net/cgi-bin/calcium37.pl?CalendarName=David_Schmitt&Op=ShowIt&Amount=Week&NavType=Both&Type=List&Date=2008/8/1

I stopped after going through about half of the matches. All of these are
quirks mode. I didn't find any that work in Opera/Firefox but are broken
in Chrome (i.e. rely on it being unsupported in standards mode). I didn't
find any that work in Opera but are broken in Firefox/Chrome (i.e. expect
it to work in quirks mode).

This is enough to convince me that the feature should not be supported in
quirks mode.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software