[whatwg] Problem in the Section "4 Elements of HTML => 4.4 Sections => 4.4.2 The Section element

Jukka K. Korpela jkorpela at cs.tut.fi
Thu Sep 13 11:28:48 PDT 2012

2012-09-13 21:15, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Hixie purposely varied his style across
> examples, to show that certain variances in the syntax were allowed
> and perfectly fine.

Oh, I see. It's somewhat questionable if you ask me. Varying the syntax
_within a document_ is something different from the liberty of choosing
one's style. But I guess the reader is assumed to treat the examples as
quotations that reflect different styles (and style is consistent within
each example).

Still, I wouldn't do that. I don't think authors really need to be
reminded of the possibility of writing <Section> instead of the most
common way, <section>, and the next common one, <SECTION>. People who
have some special reason for writing, say,

<sEcTIon

claSs

=                              foo

should probably check the syntax definition details if in doubt, and
just go ahead (maybe using a validator) if not.

Yucca