[whatwg] Wasn't there going to be a strict spec?

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Sep 19 07:01:32 PDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> Browsers are certainly allowed to report syntax errors in their consoles.
> Indeed I would encourage it.

Unlikely to happen. I already faced reviewer skepticism for making
Firefox whine to console about encoding errors. I silenced the most
common encoding error to get the patch landed. Fortunately the most
common error is also the least actionable one (encoding not declared
in a different-origin framed document—ad iframe in practice) so
silencing it isn’t crazy from the perspective of the utility of the
messages.

As Mike said, Firefox reports most (not all!) parse errors in View
Source, though.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi