[whatwg] New URL Standard

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 21 08:36:50 PDT 2012

> It is based on the
> various URL code paths found in WebKit and Gecko and supports the \ as
> / in various places because it seemed better for compatibility.

Or worse, depending on your use cases...

> * data URLs; in Gecko these appear to be parsed as part of the URL
> layer, because they can turn a URL invalid. Other browsers do not do
> this. Opinions? Should data URLs support .search?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "parsed as part of the URL layer"
here.  What's the concern?

> * Advice on file URLs would be nice.

Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here?  ;)

If you want constructive advice, it would be interesting to get a full
list of all the weird stuff that UAs do here so we can evaluate which
parts of it are needed and why.  I can try to produce such a list for
Gecko, if there seems to be motion on the general idea.

> PS: It also does the query encoding thing correctly for the first time
> ever in the history of URL standards

\o/

-Boris