[whatwg] TextTrack and addCue

Cyril Concolato cyril.concolato at telecom-paristech.fr
Thu Sep 27 01:35:26 PDT 2012

Hi Philip,

Le 9/27/2012 10:30 AM, Philip Jägenstedt a écrit :
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:41:34 +0200, Cyril Concolato
> <cyril.concolato at telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Has it been considered adding another method to add cues to a track?
>> Something like addCues(DOMString text) where the text is not only one
>> cue (like in the TextTrackCue ctor) but where the text would be
>> multiple cues as written in a WebVTT file? My use case is that I'm
>> getting WebVTT content from a server using XHR and I'd like to add
>> that easily to the track, without having to parse them myself.
>> Ideally, I would like to push the WebVTT content to the track a bit
>> like the Media Source Extension API. Another option (less ideal)
>> would be to have a WebVTTParser object with a parseFromString method
>> returning a TextTrackList (a bit like the DOMParser object). Each cue
>> could be added one by one.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Cyril
>
> You can parse WebVTT using a dummy video+track element and then move
> the cues to the actual track, why is this less than ideal?
I did not think about that option. It could do the trick. Thank you. By
less than ideal, I meant that if I can push content to a buffer and let
the browser parse the text and add the cues to the track, it seems
easier/more elegant than having either to parse in JS or to create dummy
elements and move cues around.

Cyril

--
Cyril Concolato