[whatwg] Enabling LCD Text and antialiasing in canvas

Mark Callow callow.mark at artspark.co.jp
Wed Apr 3 21:25:10 PDT 2013

On 2013/04/04 10:08, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Gregg Tavares <gman at google.com> wrote:
>

>> O RLY?   So you're saying the following 250pt ampersand is stored as a
>> bitmap in the font file?
>>
>>  &
> It's not simply stored as a path that you then scale. In some fonts it
> might be in a completely different format than a path (or it could even be
> a bitmap)
As screen pixel densities soar, it is increasingly the case that fonts
are stored simply as paths that are scaled, especially fonts which have
thousands of characters.
> Fonts render different from paths. If your UA doesn't do that, you are
> doing it wrong. :-)
> Line art looks different to the human eye than a line of text. Imagina a
> vertical and a horizontal line rendered with sub-pixel AA; they will look
> very different.
Vertical and horizontal lines won't have any aliasing to begin with so
what are you talking about?
> Text also has the nice property that it's filled with a solid color.
I know little about Canvas2D but I do know that PostScript and SVG both
support gradients etc. when filling text so your statement is wrong.

Regards

    -Mark

--
注意:この電子メールには、株式会社エイチアイの機密情報が含まれている場合
が有ります。正式なメール受信者では無い場合はメール複製、 再配信または情

NOTE: This electronic mail message may contain confidential and
privileged information from HI Corporation. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, photocopying, distribution or use of the
contents of the received information is prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete this message and all related copies.