[whatwg] Notifications: reviving Notification objects

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon Apr 8 08:04:46 PDT 2013

On Apr 4, 2013 12:53 PM, "Mounir Lamouri" <mounir at lamouri.fr> wrote:

> On 31/03/13 15:33, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> > There are a couple of scenarios http://notifications.spec.whatwg.org/
> > does not address at the moment.
> >
> > A) User navigates to chat site. Chat site creates a notification from
> > a chat with P while the user does something else. User closes chat
> > site and then navigates to chat site at a later point.
>
> I guess a better example would be that the website is unloaded on memory
> pressure but the tab is kept. Otherwise, an explicit user action could
> be considered as enough to remove all currently opened notifications.

I don't think that we want to impose the requirement that UAs have to close
all notifications when the user closes the webpage that opened them. Or
that UAs have to do that in order to not have "dangling" notifications.

It seems like a reasonable UI to leave notifications opened once the user
has granted explicit permission for a website to create notifications, as
is the case any time they use the notifications API.

/ Jonas