[whatwg] Background audio channels

Chris Wilson cwilso at google.com
Wed Apr 10 10:52:09 PDT 2013

No, plugins are not a bikeshed at all.  They are part of the problem - in
fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're half the problem (i.e. just as
many plugins playing audio as <audio>/<video> elements).  Bikeshedding
would be arguing over whether it should be named background or lowpriority.

"Web Audio is doable" is a pretty simplistic view - it's relatively easy to
say you want to pause playback of an MP3 file, or even pause an adaptive
audio stream; however, it's harder to come up with a consistent view of
what you should do with Web Audio.  You can't pause the audio hardware's
clock; what do you do with audio changes that are scheduled to occur
(including but not limited to buffer playback scheduled in the future, and
audio parameter changes like volume or frequency ramps).  The concept of
"pausing" becomes a much higher-level one; you really need my sequencer app
to be asked to pause, not pausing the sound buffers it is playing.

The first browser that tried to "upgrade" their support by disabling
Pandora* playing in a background tab, because Pandora hasn't added an
attribute to their <audio>/plugins, is going to have to deal with a lot of
user backlash.

Finally, apps can already solve this problem today - they know when they go
into the background (for different permutations of "background", as Jer
mentioned), and they can pretty trivially mute or pause their playing
audio.  Most of them don't.

The problem they CAN'T solve is the telephony one - intelligently pausing
sounds when a phone call comes in.  I would have expected a design that was
more like firing an event on the window that asks the app to pause all
playing audio - and in fact, I might want a video stream to go on playing
visually, but not audibly, or I might want a live stream to have its volume
reduced, but not shut off.  The default handling of this event could be to
forcibly pause all media elements, and even forcibly mute sounds playing
from Web Audio and plugins; but that handling could easily be prevented by
my app that knows it should pause the sequencing.  Or something like that -
that's a design off the top of my head, so I make not guarantees about its
completeness.

-C

* I'm using Pandora as a placeholder here; the problem is there are a huge
number of applications like Pandora, and there's no additional value today
for them to do this work, yet I don't think implementers could deploy this
until they do.