[whatwg] 2D canvas feature proposal: text decoration

David Dailey ddailey at zoominternet.net
Thu Apr 18 13:37:31 PDT 2013

You know, I'm not quite sure why we have text in canvas at all. It's not
really text you know -- it's just a bunch of pixels. You can't select it,
you can't copy it to the clipboard, it's not accessible without a bunch of
effort that authors generally don't use. It's generally illegal in most
civilized places. Why not use SVG? It's got text decoration. Text is text.
It's just that the more conspiratorial and selfish of the browser vendors
back when things were being voted on seemed to push canvas since they
already owned it and SVG seemed "hard" and like they might have to learn
something by way of graphics in their corporate portfolios.

That's how I see it, anyhow. WHATWG doesn't vote, of course.

Cheers
DD