[whatwg] 2D canvas feature proposal: text decoration

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Fri Apr 19 22:46:05 PDT 2013

"Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage at gmail.com> schrieb am Thu, 18 Apr 2013
13:48:54 -0700:

> "text ... is generally illegal in most civilized places"
>
> What is this i don't even

> responding to email on whatwg mailing list
> leaving out part of the quoted text
> implying implications

I think DD was referring to the following attributes of such “text”:

> You can't select it, you can't copy it to the clipboard, it's not
> accessible without a bunch of effort that authors generally don't use.

Possibly relevant accessability legislation exists in quite some places:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessability#National_legislation>

That said, I suspect that anything that makes it easier to create text
in canvas can and will be used to create inaccessible interfaces. My
personal experience regarding web accessability is very frustrating –
authors generally do not care, even if they know about it.

FYI, I have problems with low-contrast text, but at least I can correct
for that using user stylesheets. How would I do that with canvas text?

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>