[whatwg] Alignment of empty buttons

Christian Biesinger cbiesinger at google.com
Thu Apr 25 13:46:31 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> On 4/25/13 3:10 PM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
>> Ah, I see. It's not entirely clear to me what ASK_FOR_BASELINE means
>> and what ascent is initialized to when it's not set to that value
>

> Basically in this case it means that the child (the anonymous block we put
> inside the button) said "I'm not computing my ascent unless I have to;
> please call GetBaseline() on me to find out what my ascent is".  If ascent
> is not set to ASK_FOR_BASELINE then it's already set to the ascent of the
> child.

Oh I see now, this is after calling Reflow on the child. Makes sense.

>> I guess this discussion doesn't really belong on
>> this mailing list.
>

> Well, the larger point of "button baselines need to be defined" kinda does,
> either here or on www-style...

True, that one belongs here (or on www-style).

There's also the secondary question on whether an empty button should
have a line or collapse. Note that in most browsers, an <input
type=button> looks different from a <button></button>...

-christian