[whatwg] API to delay the document load event

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Apr 29 03:56:31 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:50 PM, James Graham <jgraham at opera.com> wrote:

> I mean, let's say you delay the load event until after some data has
> loaded over a web socket. If you try to use that data from the load event
> handler it can fail in a racy way in UAs that don't support delaying the
> load event. This also seems like the kind of race that you are more likely
> to win on a local network, so it wouldn't necessarily be caught during
> development.

OK. That's a good argument for defining a new "time of document completion"
instead of modifying the load event.

>      Is getting screenshots of pages for thumbnails really something that
>>     needs an author-facing API? In general the concept of "fully loaded"
>>     doesn't make any sense for a class of modern web applications, which
>>     might keep loading content or changing their presentation across
>>     their liefetime. Therefore it seems like simply taking one
>>     screenshot at page load and replacing it with one a little later
>>     after a timeout might be a good-enough solution.
>>

>> The problem is when you next load the application. You don't want to
>> replace a good screenshot with a screenshot of the application saying
>>

> Then don't replace the screenshot with one taken at the load-event time if
> you already have one.

OK, but we want to take a new screenshot eventually, and we want to avoid
taking it while the application is saying "Loading...". Avoiding that
requires some kind of signal from the application.

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq