[whatwg] inputmode feedback

Yoichi Osato yoichio at google.com
Thu Dec 5 22:46:59 PST 2013

Our Google Japan members working around IME discussed about inputmode.

Proposal:
 Remove "kana", "katakana" and "full-width-latin" from inputmode attribute.
Because above attributes and others are independent as others say.
For web developers that want to manage IME state like native applications,
the inputmode attribute lacks some modes
like "half-width-katakana". But it might cause more confusing to add such
attributes to inputmode.

We are discussing to propose IME mode management as new API.
Its mode contains "alphabet, kana, katakana, full-width-latin,
harf-width-katakana"
as a native OS provides.
We think Chrome extension API is good for first then standardize as DOM
event.