[whatwg] Form-associated elements and the parser

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at apple.com
Wed Dec 4 23:00:25 PST 2013

On Dec 4, 2013, at 11:01 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2013, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:

>>> We could; in fact that might be sufficient because when the template
>>> is cloned, all the special associations are lost anyway, IIRC. So the
>>> form element pointer would be useless anyway in the template on the
>>> long run.
>>
>> Right.  I also think that not associating form elements with forms
>> inside/outside template elements might be more natural to authors given
>> their inert nature.
>
> Well, they're still associated with forms inside (e.g. if they are
> children or have a form="" attribute).
>
> I've changed the parser spec to ignore the form element pointer for
>
>   http://html5.org/r/8331

Now that I've implemented the new behavior in WebKit, I'm not certain completely ignoring the form element pointer is the right behavior here.
That would mean that we'll allow nested form elements and isindex element will create its own form element even if it's inside another form element inside template element.

Is that behavior really desirable?

- R. Niwa