[whatwg] Bicubic filtering on context.drawImage

Chris Bold neuronton at live.com
Mon Dec 9 00:00:26 PST 2013

--- Original Message ---

From: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage at gmail.com>
Sent: December 9, 2013 2:22 AM
To: "Tingan Ho" <tingan at p1.cn>
Cc: "WHATWG" <whatwg at lists.whatwg.org>
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Bicubic filtering on context.drawImage

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Tingan Ho <tingan at p1.cn> wrote:
> Hi Whatwg,
>
> I'm a web developer in need of bicubic filtering on context.drawImage. I
> use to crop and scale images on the web using canvas. And I noticed that
> quality when you scale down very much is very bad on canvas. I scale down
> images using context.drawImage. There is no way for me to opt in for which
> filter method to use. I thought it was a bug first, because I thought
> context.webkitImageSmoothingEnabled did the job. But it didn't. So I filed
> a bug for chrome. But they suggested me to email you guys.
>
> https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=326640

Hm, I wonder if image-interpolation on the <canvas> should affect
this?  It's defined to only have an effect when you scale the <canvas>
element itself, but I think it probably makes sense that whatever
scaling intent you specify for the element should probably apply to
images you draw into it with a scale.

~TJ