[whatwg] Bicubic filtering on context.drawImage

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Mon Dec 9 07:06:50 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 1:21 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hm, I wonder if image-interpolation on the <canvas> should affect
> this?  It's defined to only have an effect when you scale the <canvas>
> element itself, but I think it probably makes sense that whatever
> scaling intent you specify for the element should probably apply to
> images you draw into it with a scale.

What is "image-interpolation"?  It looks like a CSS property, but Google
doesn't distinguish between "image-interpolation" and "image
interpolation", so it's impossible to search for.

If it is, having CSS state affect drawing of 2d canvas seems wrong.  Aside
from the bad layering, it would lead to different rendering if you draw to
a Canvas before stylesheets finish loading (equivalent to not waiting for
images, but much easier to get wrong without noticing), and if you
offscreen render a Canvas before actually putting it in a document.

--
Glenn Maynard