[whatwg] Reporting mid-stream resolution change on <video>

Ami Fischman fischman at chromium.org
Thu Dec 12 15:03:17 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> I suppose we could fire resize on initial load as well. I guess it depends
> on what code that uses this looks like. Is the initial size change the
> same kind of code as resizing, or is it different code? (e.g. will one set
> up elements to frame the video while the other just changes their size?)

Yes, I think that the first size event and subsequent ones are similar
enough that the initial size info should be fired when metadataloaded fires.

Example use-cases:
- a chat service wants to display an "HD" emblem on video feeds above some
threshold (and removed it if/when they fall below the threshold).  You want
to show/hide the emblem from the first point at which you have size
information, and each time that information changes.
- an on-screen display (OSD) for feed resolution; needs to be updated on
resize as well as initial size information.

In fact I am failing to think of examples where only not-first resize
information would be needed.

Cheers,
-a