[whatwg] IRC and WWW integration proposal

Odin Hørthe Omdal odinho at opera.com
Fri Feb 1 02:19:32 PST 2013

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 07:41:59 +0100, Nils Dagsson Moskopp
<nils at dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:

> Shane Allen <shane at snoonet.org> schrieb am Thu, 31 Jan 2013 23:40:11
> -0600:
>
>> > A protocol attribute for <link> elements would be totally hilarious.
>> Not if the device is a tablet, or a phone running a browser that
>> supports it. Need support from a page/article or even a project? Hit
>> a button, and if the protocol is implemented, you're in the IRC
>> channel able to garnish that support instantly.
> We probably misunderstood each other. Protocols are mentioned at the
> beginning of a URL; having a protocol attribute on a <link> element
> would therefore be redundant.

To illustrate:

   <link rel=chat protocol=irc href=irc://irc.freenode.com/whatwg>

Instead of:

   <link rel=chat href=irc://irc.freenode.com/whatwg>

Or a more fitting example of how it could be used:

But, what happens now?

Hilarious :-)

--
Odin Hørthe Omdal (Velmont/odinho) · Core, Opera Software, http://opera.com