[whatwg] A plea to Hixie to adopt <main>

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Sun Feb 17 22:36:33 PST 2013

Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie at antplc.com> schrieb am Fri, 14 Dec 2012
14:33:43 +0000:

> Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Stewart wrote:
> >
> > It doesn't necessarily.  I've come across pages that expect the
> > head to be displayed too.  e.g. tests at
> > http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/tests/css3/like
> > http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/tests/css3/show.php?p=caption-side
>
> > Is this a common mark up pattern?
>
> I've not gone looking for any other real-world examples - that's the
> only one I've seen.  However, I can't think of any reason why it
> shouldn't work, as it's just a block box like the body element
> (usually) is.

I have some rules in my user stylesheet for this – among these one that
displays the hyperlink with a small orange feed icon for elements
matching „link[rel=alternate][title][type='application/rss+xml']“. I use
conkeror (a web browser modeled after Emacs – scripting buffers ful of
HTML using JavaScript), the configuration can be found here:
<https://raw.github.com/erlehmann/dotfiles/27cf8d18faad4d8deeb47ebaadcf91ce26357aa6/.conkerorrc>

When I tried to actually use this for a web page I found that while
Gecko (from conkeror) generates Hyperlinks for <link> elements, WebKit
(at least that from Chromium Version 22.0.1229.94) does not. Therefore,
I decided against using this styling pattern for my blog sofware.

I suggest people test for themselves, as I suspect I may have done
something wrong with my user stylesheets in Chromium – it seems
counter-intuitive that a <link> Element does not create a hyperlink:
<data:text/html;charset=utf-8;base64,PCFET0NUWVBFIEhUTUw%2BPHRpdGxlPkxpbmsgRWxlbWVudCBTdHlsaW5nIFRlc3Q8L3RpdGxlPjxzdHlsZT5oZWFkLGxpbmt7ZGlzcGxheTpibG9ja31saW5rW3RpdGxlXVt0eXBlPSdhcHBsaWNhdGlvbi9yc3MreG1sJ106OmJlZm9yZXtjb250ZW50OidMaW5rOiAnIGF0dHIodGl0bGUpfTwvc3R5bGU%2BPGxpbmsgcmVsPSJhbHRlcm5hdGUiIHRpdGxlPSJGZWVkIiB0eXBlPSJhcHBsaWNhdGlvbi9yc3MreG1sIiBocmVmPSJodHRwOi8vZXhhbXBsZS5vcmcvZmVlZCI%2BYm9keQ0K>

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>