[whatwg] [URL] Cargo-cult naming in URL and matching

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Fri Feb 8 04:38:33 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Alex Russell <slightlyoff at google.com> wrote:
> But if I've been vended a URL object from some API, I first have to compare
> the bases. I'd like a way to ask something like "is the full URL
> up-to-and-including this component the same?" E.g., if I have an API that's
> handed two URLs (a and b), I'd like to be able to write something like:
>
>     if (a.toString("path") == b.toString("path")) {
>     }

What you're saying and what your API proposal is saying seems
different. Do you want to compare the path, or do you want to compare
the scheme, host, etc. but not query and fragment?

I've been thinking of URL.compare(url, options) where in options you
can say to ignore certain components and maybe additionally a way so
you can normalize away percent-encoding for some cases as the parser
does not do that. Thus far you're the only one who seems to be
requesting this feature. I haven't really figured out a way to
quantify demand somehow.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/