[whatwg] Enabling LCD Text and antialiasing in canvas

Rik Cabanier cabanier at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 10:50:42 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Stephen White <senorblanco at chromium.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Stephen White <senorblanco at chromium.org>wrote:

>>> I think this is difficult to do in the general case, such as
>>> putImageData() or drawImage() or patterns, since you would need to examine
>>> all the pixels of the source image to determine if they contain non-1
>>> alpha.  This would be cost-prohibitive.
>>>

>> You only have to do that if you use compositing modes such as source-in
>> though.
>>

> putImageData() ignores compositing mode, though, so it would always have
> to be treated as alpha-modifying. If you declare with moz-opaque that the
> canvas is opaque, you can still apply the optimization even with
> putImageData().

no. Not if you use an opaque ImageDataSourece (such as a JPEG image or a
canvas source that knows that it's opaque.

> In addition, you could detect at low cost that the CanvasImageSource is
>> opaque so some compositing modes would not reset.
>>

> Not always.  For example, a partially-loaded bitmap has to be treated as
> non-opaque until fully loaded, IIRC.

partially loaded images are supposed to be ignored when you draw with them.

> And for canvas-to-canvas draws, you'd be applying the same conservative
> algorithm that determined the opacity of the source canvas, so it might
> miss some optimization cases that an explicit declaration wouldn't.\

Yes. You'd have to explicitly matte the other canvas too (if you use
putImageData or certain compositing modes).
That's still better than breaking compositing though...

>> If it's just for the purposes of optimization, you could be conservative
>>> and simply clear the flag when there's the potential for (but not certainty
>>> of) non-1 alpha.  But if you're also using that flag to allow subpixel AA,
>>> the behaviour becomes quite unpredictable for the web developer and hard to
>>> spec crisply.
>>>

>> Yes, that is worrisome. It seems another flag is in ordre.
>>

>>> We could consider separating the two concepts again.  In an earlier
>>> thread, there was an attempt to automatically determine all the places
>>> where it's safe to enabled subpixel AA, but that seemed to result in a
>>> complex implementation, with all cases still not being covered (such as
>>> canvas-to-canvas drawImage()). The other alternative is programmatic
>>> control over subpixel AA, using a context attribute. That was the first
>>> thing that Justin proposed in the earlier thread, and would be my
>>> preference as well (a fully-loaded footgun:  you can shoot yourself with
>>> it, but the behaviour and performance characteristics are very easy to
>>> understand and spec).  But there didn't seem to be agreement around that
>>> either.
>>>

>> Can you refresh me on the issue with that? Is the cost too high?
>>

> Robert's comment:
>
> > We'd have to define what happens when you use subpixel antialiasing
> "incorrectly",
> > because we can be pretty sure authors will use it incorrectly and
> expect to get interoperable behavior.
>
> Ian Hickson's comment earlier in this thread:
>
> > Do we have any reason to believe the majority of authors would make the
> > right decisions here?
> >
> > (The main reason we haven't provided control over things like
> antialiasing
> > is that many authors tend to make terribly bad decisions.) (Before
> anyone
> > gets offended, by the way: that you are reading this almost guarantees
> > that you are above average in terms of authoring ability.)

What is the technical issue? Why does anti-aliasing only work if you have
an opaque canvas?

>>> Which is how I ended up at the "moz-opaque" flag.  it restricts canvas
>>> to the subset of operations which result in a 1 alpha in the backing store,
>>> to allow optimizations and the use of subpixel AA.  I think that is
>>> actually quite a useful subset (generally, the subset that doesn't need
>>> destination alpha).  I believe the same thing can be achieved in WebGL by
>>> setting the "alpha" attribute to false in WebGLContextAttributes.
>>>

>> My fear is that this is too disruptive as it changes how canvas
>> compositing works.
>>

> It's opt-in, so it wouldn't affect existing content.
>

>> It might also not be implemented easily on all platforms (especially the
>> ones that use the operating system to draw)
>>

> It's pretty straightforward to implement with OpenGL:  allocate the
> backing store as GL_RGB instead of GL_RGBA, or (if unsupported) clear the
> buffer to opaque black and use glColorMask() to disable alpha writes.  Then
> for speed during page compositing, disable blending.

How about the accelerated core graphics backend? Direct2D?